10 Tips to Boost Your MetabolismPosted by HCGH_MC on Sep 17, 2013 in Classes, Eating Right, Events, Health | 12 comments
10 Tips to Boost Your Metabolism
1. Become more active. Exercise, walk, use the stairs, move when you talk on the phone, anything to get your body moving.
2. Build muscle, use weights. One pound of muscle burns up to 50 calories.
3. Eat protein – the body uses twice as much energy to burn it.
4. Vary your intensity intervals during activity. 3 – 5 minutes moderate, 3 – 5 minutes intense, then 3 – 5 minutes moderate activity.
5. Get the right amount of sleep every night for you. Your body burns calories while you sleep.
6. Eat small, healthy amounts of food every 2-4 hours. This keeps the body from entering into “starvation mode “ thus keeping your metabolism up.
7. Eat healthy – use smaller portion sizes and fill ½ your plate with vegetables and fruit.
8. Eat fiber. The body takes a lot of energy to digest the non-digestible carbohydrates. Add it to your salads, yogurt, cereals and more.
9. Hydrate your body, which assists with digestion and elimination.
10. Relax. Practice proactive techniques to remain calm. Stress causes the release of cortisol. This triggers fat stores to develop and can also trigger binge eating.
Dr. Raj Dua, an Ellicott City native, is a board certified Family Physician and sees patients ages 3 and up. He completed his Family Medicine residency from Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center before returning back to his hometown. He joined Centennial Medical Group in September of 2004. His current interests include the treatment of obesity and its related disorders, metabolic syndrome, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, diabetes, exercise and nutrition. He has been recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) for excellence in diabetes care for the period 2009-2012. He is a member of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians and is certified by the American Board of Bariatric Medicine as well as in Family Practice. He is the director of the CMG medical weight loss program.